Friday, July 1, 2011

Electronics, Media, and the Rising Generation


As a parent, this recent study about the effect of unplugging from modern gadgets stimulated some deep thoughts about my children and what I want for them.  Though modern gadgets like smartphones (iPhone, Android, and so on) provide incredible tools.  They in many cases may also become masters rather than servants when allowed to replace the deep meaningful connections God intended for us to enjoy with all of his creations.

For example, growing up we always had at least one dog.  When I was really down, I'd go outside in the backyard to a solitary place and the dog would always come find me.  There was a deep connection in those moments.  The dog's presence provided comfort, a feeling of friendship, and helped me relax.  It's hard to imagine getting that from a gadget or machine.



Here is the website: the world UNPLUGGED

Enjoy, but remember it's also just media.  Media, social networks, and the like should be the servants or tools while we master relationships both with ourselves and with those around us.

No comments: