Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oven Pancakes, Papa Willie style

Last night Lisa had suggested making puffy oven pancakes for breakfast.  So after spending 15-20 minutes with my scriptures I got out of bed and made some my way.

Papa Willie's Basic Oven Pancake
These oven pancakes are more substantial while using less eggs than most German Oven Pancake recipes.

Gear:
  • Electric beater
  • Mixing bowl    (You could probably do a half batch in the blender)
  • 1 large Pyrex pan or two 9" dishes (I actually used our cast iron skillet and a square 9" Pyrex pan.  My wife suggests a 9" square pan and 9 x 13" pan in order to make the pancakes a little thinner)
2-3 Tbsp butter
5 eggs
3 cups milk (I had to use powdered milk this morning)
3 cups flour (I recommend whole wheat)
1 tsp salt

Feeds 2 adults and 3 hungry kids.

Preheat oven and baking pan/s to 450 ºF.  Melt the butter in the hot baking pan/s and leave it in the oven.  Beat the eggs, milk, and salt together.  Add the flour little by little while beating so as to avoid creating lumps of flour.  Pour into the pan/s and bake at 450 ºF for 20 minutes.  Serve immediately with syrup, honey, applesauce, cinnamon, fruit, or whatever else comes to mind.  The kids say it tastes like apple pie with applesauce, cinnamon, and honey (I think of it as poor man's apple pie).

Thoughts:  You may consider adding some spices to the batter or make it into a treat with chopped apples, cinnamon and sugar (I'd add at least a cup of chopped apple and decrease the milk by a 1/2 cup since the apples will provide a lot of moisture as they bake).  For best results try to position the pan so that the bottom is in the middle of the oven or slightly higher. 

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Interesting. The recipe I use calls for 6 eggs, so almost the same as yours, but 6 Tbsp of butter! Also, for some reason I have never thought of using whole wheat flour, which is silly because I use it when I make regular pancakes. I think I will give your recipe a try.