Thursday, May 27, 2010

US Debt Clock

The Downsize DC email today had a link to this amazing site:
The fact that our national debt is now $13 trillion is interesting, but the following numbers really put things into perspective for me.

 Forget about the national debt for a minute and think just about the way people are living.
Personal debt per citizen: $53,477
Income per family: $25,750
Savings per citizen: $1,598
Supposing your family consists of 3 people that would be equivalent to having over $150,000 in debt, earning onlyl $25,000 a year, and having a little money, $1,598, in the bank.   This is the situation I would be in if I had bought a house when I moved to Nashville with my wife and daughter in order to do graduate school at Vanderbilt University.  I know for a fact that I am not your average Joe and that 29 is not the median age here in the U.S. (37 is the median age).  I am shocked that when the US is summed up this is the kind of situation we're in.  Where have our principles gone.  What has happened to "spend less than you earn", "save for a rainy day", and "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

My thanks to those who have provided us with this great source of information: 
the U.S. National Debt Clock.  

Now let's all shape up, get out of debt, and demand that the government do the same!

No comments: