Friday, April 9, 2010

Best applesauce apple

Ever since I was a kid, my parents have made homemade applesauce in the fall and canned it to enjoy throughout the year.  Even though most of us are grown and have moved away, my parents continue the tradition.  This past year my sister and her family were able to come back to Tennessee during Labor Day and asked Mom if we could do applesauce then.  This meant saucing Gala apples rather than the Golden Delicious apples we've traditionally used.  A taste test between a one-year old jar of Golden Delicious applesauce and the Gala applesauce confirmed that Gala is a little better.  Who knew?

Well today I stumbled upon somebody who knew.  PickYourOwn.org's list of apples shows Gala and Fuji as making the best applesauce.  Golden Delicious, Jonathon, Jonagold, and Melrose are rated as very good.

To me this is fantastic news.  I could do applesauce three times a year, once during Gala season and then again during Golden Delicious season and then at the end of Fuji season.  Oh, I am so curious to try homemade Fuji applesauce!  Can it really be better than our traditional Golden Delicious applesauce?